- Today is an important anniversary celebration. It is the 111th anniversary of Rotary, February 23, 1905.
- Yesterday February 22 was George Washington’s birthday. George Washington was officially born on February 11, 1731. At the time, the entire British Empire, including its North American possessions, were on the Julian calendar; the Empire, not being bound to the Catholic Church, had not yet adopted the modern Gregorian calendar that Catholic countries had adopted in 1582. Among the differences were that the British Julian calendar changed years on March 25 (instead of January 1) and that by the 1730s, the Julian was eleven days behind the Gregorian in date due to leap year differences. The British Empire switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1752; since then, Americans born prior to 1752, including Washington, have typically had their birthdays recognized under what their birthday would have been under the Gregorian calendar (“New Style” dates). Since, during the 1700s, February 11 under the Julian calendar would fall as February 22 on the Gregorian, Washington's birthday has been generally recognized as February 22.
The Julian calendar, was introduced by Julius Caesar in 46 BC, & was a reform of the Roman calendar. It took effect in 45 BC, shortly after the Roman conquest of Egypt. It was the predominant calendar in the Roman world, most of Europe, and in European settlements throughout the world, until it was refined and gradually replaced by the Gregorian calendar, promulgated in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII.
- There next Breakfast Satellite meeting will be March 2 @ 7:45 @ Joey Tate’s.
The next Evening Satellite meeting will be tomorrow Night February 24 @ 5:00 p.m. @ Bernie’s Bar/ restaurant.
The Satellite Club meeting is established for any member who cannot make the lunch meeting, or for someone who misses the lunch meeting and wants to make up and catch up on the club’s activities
- The Pancake Breakfast is scheduled for April 9. Bob & Bill are doing a great job in the preparation for this event. They need your help with soliciting sponsors.
- Coin Bank; Change the World w/ pocket change; Help End Polio by contributing your change to the Polio bank.
- Remember, crutches for Africa. Check your attics & garages for mobility devices; wheelchairs, canes, crutches.
- There is an opportunity for anyone to advertise their business on the Club’s web site. The cost is $100/ calendar year. See Chris Heaven if interested.
- Our Speaker today is Don Heebner, chairman of our District's RotaPlast program. Don has completed several deployments for this program.